Wichita Dental Hygiene Care
Tips for Great Home Hygiene
Helping your child get in the habit of brushing and flossing at the same time every day is one of the most important things you can do to establish a lifetime of good dental health. Here are some important guidelines and helpful tips to make brushing and flossing more effective.
- Start by establishing a good routine for yourself and allow your child to watch you brush and floss.
- You can clean your baby’s gums with a wet cloth even before teeth have erupted. This not only clears away bacteria, it also helps your child get used to the idea of having his or her mouth cleaned.
- Children do not have the dexterity to brush satisfactorily by themselves until around age 7 (when they can write in cursive or tie their own shoes) so please brush your children’s teeth for them.
- Even if your child wants to brush by themselves, allow them to do it in the morning, and you continue to brush and floss at night.
- It is important to brush daily, even if there is some resistance from the child.
- Use a timer to help you keep track of how long your older child has been brushing. It is a good tool for older kids who are transitioning into brushing on their own.
- Flossing can be done before or after brushing. Sometimes flossing first makes it easier to remember.
- It is crucial to floss because the toothbrush cannot clean all surfaces. Even if you are brushing well, the sugar bugs can stay between the teeth and cause cavities.
- Daily cleaning of the teeth, gums, and tongue will help prevent bad breath, cavities, and gingivitis.
- We recommend using a fluoride mouth rinse for kids over the age of five or six. Do not use a mouth rinse until your child can spit effectively.
- Let your child choose a special toothbrush. This can make brushing seem like a celebration. Playing a special song or finding a fun video about toothbrushing can be helpful too. Some of them are even timed to two minutes so you always brush the right amount of time! Here’s a great one we found: http://youtu.be/wxMrtK-kYnE
Click HERE to download the Brush & Floss calendar!