Every year, the Tooth Fairy gets a day dedicated all to herself. In fact, she’s so great at her job, she gets two days of celebration, once on August 22 and once on February 28. At our pediatric dental office in Wichita, the legend of the Tooth Fairy is near to our hearts, so to help celebrate her, we wanted to share some fun facts about our favorite little tooth collector.
- She’s not always a fairy in a pretty dress. Worldwide, the Tooth Fairy varies in appearance. Here in the U.S. we usually picture her as a dainty girl that gently flutters under the pillow. In places like France, Belgium, and many Spanish-speaking countries, the Tooth Fairy is a friendly, furry mouse.
- She’s 109 years old! The first known mention of the Tooth Fairy was in the Chicago Daily Tribune in 1908.
- She’s adjusted her rate over the years. Back in 2004, the going rate for a tooth was about $1.78. Nowadays a tooth is worth, on average, $4.66!
- Her rates even fluctuate with the market. Dental insurance company Delta Dental has been researching the Tooth Fairy for years. They have found a correlation between the stock market and how much cash she was handing out. Who knew the Tooth Fairy followed the S&P 500 so closely?!
- The Tooth Fairy had her own museum. Located in a split level home in Deerfield, IL, the Tooth Fairy Museum showcased art, books, dolls, and other Tooth Fairy memorabilia.
- She collects A LOT of teeth. The Tooth Fairy collects about 300,000 teeth from children all over the world every night.
- So, what does she do with all those teeth? It’s believed that the Tooth Fairy uses these teeth to help build the fairy community where she lives. Other times she will make jewelry for herself and her friends.
- How she sneaks under the pillow is still a mystery. The Tooth Fairy is really great at her job. So good that we never even know she’s been there.
- She visits each child around 20 times! Children have 20 baby teeth that will fall out over the span of a few years. As long as each tooth is left under the pillow, the Tooth Fairy will find it!
- No Tooth? No Problem! Sometimes our baby teeth fall out and we don’t even realize it. By the time we notice, we can’t find it! But don’t worry, even if you can’t find your tooth once it falls out, she will still visit.
Whether your child is experiencing his first loose tooth, or he’s nearing the end of his Tooth Fairy days, we do know that the Tooth Fairy prefers healthy, cavity-free teeth. To help ensure your child receives a maximum trade for his pearly whites, visit his pediatric dentist in Wichita at least twice a year.
Searching for a pediatric dentist for your little one? We always love new patients and welcome you to call our Wichita pediatric dental office to schedule a visit today.