Our Wichita pediatric dental office is here to care for kids’ smiles, and a big part of a healthy mouth is a healthy diet. While a healthy and balanced diet is important for everyone, it’s especially important for kids. Growing children need proper nutrition to build strong bones and teeth to set them up for a healthy life.
What to Choose
- Milk – This probably comes as no surprise as milk is always a popular recommendation from pediatricians and pediatric dentists, and for good reason. A powerful provider of calcium and phosphorus, milk is a great choice to help build strong teeth and bones.
- Yogurt – Yogurt packs a healthy dose of protein as well as calcium…both of which are important for proper bone and tooth development.
- Cheese – Rounding out the dairy food group, cheese not only provides kids with calcium and protein, it helps neutralize acids which protects teeth against cavities.
- Broccoli – Broccoli is another great source of calcium, and one of the best vegetables your kid can eat to get their recommended amount. Though it’s best if eaten raw, lightly steamed broccoli can still be hugely beneficial.
- Blueberries – This colorful fruit is one of the best foods your kid can eat. Loaded with antioxidants, blueberries can protect against toxins. Plus they have a high manganese content which keeps bones strong.
What to Avoid
Choosing the right foods for your child’s growing body and smile is important, but avoiding those foods that can be harmful is also just as vital. There’s a quick and easy test to see if it’s a food you should take a pass on, or choose to let your kids eat in moderation. Ask yourself: Is it sticky? Is it sugary? Is it left in the mouth for a long time (like a lollipop)? If the answer is yes to any of those, it’s best to look for an alternative.
Proper nutrition is only one part of aiding in tooth development. It’s still important for your child to maintain a healthy at-home oral health routine of brushing and flossing every day, and keeping regular appointments with his Wichita pediatric dentist.
Whether you’re concerned for your child’s dental health, or you’re just looking for a dentist to care for his smile, we’re more than happy to help. Give our pediatric dental office in Wichita a call to schedule an appointment today.
Welcoming patients from Wichita, Maize, Goddard and beyond.